July 16, 2018 | by  | in Editorial |

Editor’s Letter

Hi, we’re Kushali and Ruby, and welcome to the Feminist Issue (one of many, hahahaha… ha). More importantly, happy Women’s Week, everybody.
And girl, we have a great week ahead of us — we at the Victoria University Feminist Organisation have been working hard to make sure there is no shortage of activities and opportunities to celebrate women this week, whether you are one or not. We’ve got a movie night, a sexual violence discussion panel, tea sessions (serving both the literal and the metaphorical), and more!
Writing this editor’s piece, we struggled a lot with how to tackle a topic as multifaceted as feminism, while also drawing attention to Women’s Week. We were wary going in — because our brand of feminism focuses on intersectionality, whereas the very notion of “Women’s Week” suggests an exclusivity that isn’t really us. Sure, we love women, and are using this week to celebrate them, but we also love all of y’all, and think you’re the bee’s knees. Which you should too, just FYI.
Not to mention that, although this is indeed Women’s Week, the very concept of “woman” differs from person to person — after all, gender itself is a social construct, and “woman” is just one blip on a vast spectrum. Unfortunately, although we know that, there are a lot institutions in place that have yet to quite come to terms with that, and as a result, even the intangibility of gender does not stop most women from having uniquely shitty experiences on a day-to-day basis. So, you go, women. Nice work, dealing with that bullshit. You’re doing great, sweetie.
Speaking of women (and in this issue, you’re probably going to find that we do that a lot, sorry not sorry), there is nothing more wholesome to us, personally, than when we see women supporting one another. When we fight back against that stereotype that women can’t work together (like, clearly you have not seen Ocean’s Eight) by doing exactly that.
Whether we are standing side by side in protests, or simply giving drunk compliments of unreserved admiration in nightclub bathrooms, we women tend to be wonderful at sticking out for each other. Which is what this week is all about. It’s about celebrating and supporting women, in all of our differences. Because us women have gone through a lot of shit, some of us more than others, and that’s important. Because there are things that aren’t going to change any time soon, and if we want to make a difference, we’ve got to start leaning on each other. We’ve got to start taking on extra weight when we have the lighter load, and sharing the platform when we’ve had our opportunities to speak. We’ve got to share our stories, and listen to those of others. And, if others have stories they are not yet ready to tell, we need to let them know that we are here to listen when they are.
Full disclosure: Not everybody is a feminist, and not everybody sees feminism as a good thing. Feminism is a movement, full of a vast variety of opinions and values, some of which directly contradict each other.
We think feminism is great, but ultimately, the label doesn’t matter. It’s our choices that define us. We’re not here to segregate or polarize, we’re here to celebrate. This is Women’s Week after all, and that means each and every one of you wonderful ladies, not just the ones that we share our feminist views with.
Until we brainwash you, that is. But all in good time.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface