July 23, 2018 | by  | in Editorial |

Editor’s Letter

Kia ora queers (and others I guess) and welcome to UniQ’s Pride Week 2018!
Each year during Pride Week, UniQ swoops over Salient and we sprinkle our magic gay dust over all the content, creating Queerlient. We’re stoked for you to read this year’s issue! It’s full of contributions from the UniQ executive and the wider queer community at VUW, and we hope that what’s in here will give you some things to think about and look into if you’re keen to learn more.

UniQ is the representative group for LGBTQIA+ students at VUW, and we aim to create safe social spaces for queer students. There is a significant lack of institutional support for queer students (noticeably less than that available at other universities around Aotearoa), we’re doing what we can to improve this.

Pride is about celebrating difference, and highlighting struggle, oppression, and wonderful things that come with it, so this Pride Week we’re striving to have plenty of events — such as our presentations and parties that create safe and accessible spaces, to both celebrate and learn. This week is the time for our diverse community to shine (actually it’s always the time but y’know), so get stuck in and join us for everything we’ve got going on. Our events this year include a Queer History Presentation, Board Games Night, a Political Panel, Quiz Night, a Tea Party, Karaoke, a Biological Sex Presentation, and an Ivy Party.
To us, Pride is about finding love for who we are despite adversity, it’s finding community through the similarities and differences of our queer experience. We’ve each met and learned from so many incredible people during our time with UniQ over the past few years and made lifelong friends (including each other lol). So honestly, get involved in the queer community at Victoria, we can’t recommend it enough.

10. International Queer in Review