July 23, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

It’s Vital Activism, Brent

A new group called KABET United has been started by Karen Smith, who says that she “is sick of [her] name being used as a punchline”. KABET stands for Karen, Anna, Brent, Evan, and Tiffany, though Smith is also open to people with other names.
“I’m not homophobic or racist,” said Evan Smythe, another member of the group. “I don’t want my name associated with that.”
The group’s mission is to join forces to combat inappropriate and extraneous uses of their names. “There are better joke formats,” Smith explained. “You don’t need my name to be funny. Try to think before you speak.”
KABET United currently only has a Wellington chapter, but they dream of more. “There are lots of people using in the name of KABETs in vain in the US,” said Tiffany Smithe, KABET’s secretary. “Once we’ve started to make inroads here, hopefully we can expand and tackle the root of the problem.”

The problem largely seems to be hurt feelings. “I can’t believe that people make assumptions about whole groups of people merely based on superficial facts,” said Anna Schmith.
“It’s almost like discrimination.”
KABET hopes to advocate themselves into obsolescence, knowing that their efforts to quell this joke format will not spur it on. “That’s the way it is, Shanti,” said Smith.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this