July 16, 2018 | by  | in Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

Mana wahine isn’t a title, a reward or a gift. It is a concept. A state of being. You look up to those mana wāhine with great pride. Your mum is mana wahine. But what happens when she isn’t? Growing up without a mum, or a woman you see as mana wahine is difficult. It’s hard.
Other people can be mana wahine too. Your secondary school teacher, your lecturer, your mates, or even your mates mum. Sometimes you might feel alone. Take some time to think about all the mana wāhine in your life and how lucky the world is to have them.
It’s hard to see yourself as mana wahine, especially if you don’t know what it looks like. Write a list. I know you’ve crushed some goals out there. Even if it’s composting your veg scraps (S/O to my flat mates) or saving your mate from unwanted attention in town (legit all of my friends EVER). Here are some things I’ve done that have made me feel mana wahine:
• The first in my whānau to attend university
• Got out of a toxic relationship
• Punched a guy in the club (x2)
• Got into law school
• Marched against sexual violence
We have some strong wāhine at VUWSA. All of whom channel mana wahine in their own way and I guarantee you do too.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this