July 16, 2018 | by  | in Pasifika Student Council |

PSC: One Ocean

Feminism in 300 words
I was 17 when I first encountered the F word. I realised my need to prioritise doing winged eyeliner over eating breakfast in the morning was called “necessitating female beauty standards”, that traced back to the big bad patriarchy. Now, at 22, having gained some understanding of critical thinking and awareness my positionality in the world, my priorities in feminism have shifted slightly. I’m not here to tell you what feminism is or how to be a feminist. Full disclaimer: I’ve had my learners for 4 years — I can’t tell anyone what to do.
But I will try share with you some visions of my feminist priorities.
My mother, a strong Samoan woman, has always taught me: if I eat in front of others, I better have enough to share with those around me; it just isn’t right to eat while others go hungry. Read: if I have privilege, I must use it to the benefit of those who do not share in it. We all have different stories to tell about how we experience the world. Some of us have more privilege and opportunities than others. Women, people of colour, LGBTQIA+, disabled bodies, and the working class tend to have less so. Shout out to y’all surviving in this economy.
I’m often told (by men) that I can’t change the world (wow shocker). Like sure but I’m still going to try make the world a better place… Where would I be without others sharing their privilege with me to get me where I am? What can I do to share my privilege with the less advantaged? If equality isn’t for everyone who is it for? Think about that. Or don’t. I’m not your mum. I’m just here using the privilege of this platform, to ask you to think.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future