Sexuality in Pre-Colonial Aotearoa More Liberal Than You Thought

Evidence uncovered by Māori scholars and activists is shedding new light on early Māori views of sexuality.
The dominant narrative throughout history has been that diverse genders and sexualities did not exist in pre-colonial Māori society, and were introduced by European settlers. However, a closer look at Māori art, waiata, and language suggests a different story. In a recent episode of the podcast Bang!, Emeritus Professor Ngahuia Te Awekotuku found that Māori have a history of diverse sexualities and gender identities.
The fact that the term takatāpui (currently in use as an umbrella term for diverse genders and sexualities among Māori) predates European contact is key evidence of this. “I believe there was a really robust and vigorous and intense exploration of sexualities, and an acceptance of them,” said Te Awekotuku.
Evidence can also be found in waiata describing same-sex intimacy and desire, and carved papahou (treasure boxes) depicting same-sex sexual acts. Dr Elizabeth Kerekere’s extensive studies of takatāpui further support ideas of sexual exploration and freedom before colonisation. “There is no doubt that fluid sexual intimacy and gender expression was common among Māori in pre-colonial and post-contact times and has continued ever since. It was accepted without punishment and in spite of repressive English measures,” wrote Kerikeri in her 2017 thesis on the subject. Conservative colonial views of sexuality forced many takatāpui to hide their identities, and this forced invisibility likely fuelled the idea that sexual fluidity did not exist in the pre-colonial Māori world. Thus, it would be more apt to say that Europeans introduced homophobia, than homosexuality. Te Awekotuku and Kerekere’s studies highlight the historical and continuing existence of takatāpui, as well as the diversity and acceptance that flourished in Te Ao Māori prior to colonisation — a history that has been white-washed for far too long.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos