July 23, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

“Given the Masterpiece Cakeshop case in the US and similar controversy recently in Auckland, should business be permitted use religious beliefs to refuse goods and services to queer people?”

Greens at Vic

The discussion has been focused around specialist business that sell a specific luxury good. However, this ignores the implications of a greater law that would allow all business to discriminate. In the case of the Auckland cake shop, the couple that were refused service had many other options. The larger problem is how this would play out in other types of business in smaller towns where there is no other option. New Zealand’s economy is small, and lacks competition and supply of many goods and services. In small town contexts, many services only have a single provider. A small town with a single medical centre, they would have the right to refuse service to queer patients. Or an early childhood education centre could refuse to admit children with queer parents.

The Human Rights Act exists to prevent this kind of discrimination, and the Auckland Warkworth Bakery violated it by refusing to serve a couple due to their sexual orientation. The Greens believe rainbow communities are entitled to equal rights, both in law, and in practice.
– Mark Metcalfe & Marnie Hubmann

ACT on Campus

While ACT on Campus supports equals rights under the law, we believe government regulation can only go so far to stop discrimination. Social stigma is a much more effective force in punishing bigots for their choices to not serve certain individuals. Consumers are intelligent enough to decide for themselves who to support financially.

VicLabour

It’s within Labour’s values to be the most inclusive and supportive of human rights. There is a larger story here then just the Freedom of speech vs Human rights debate. It’s that when you favor religious freedom and the right to discriminate against queer persons – you’re damaging an entire community.
Saying no to the cake is to participate in a system of dehumanization, exclusion and oppression which has affected the LGBTQ community for too long. It’s 2018 – no one should be told that we are refusing you of service because you’re you.
This is not an anti-Christian stance. This is a pro-human rights stance. In the words of our friend Aaron “Jesus would bake the cake”. Why? Because even a casual glance at this man’s life shows you that he was committed to the belief that all life was created equal.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface