Wellington Buses Fail to Drive it Home

Wellington has revised its public transport system as part of a $1.3 billion investment in public transport infrastructure.

However, not all students are happy with the new routes.

Specifically, changes to the the No. 18e, previously known as No. 18, the “Campus Connection,” has garnered disapproval from students. Previously, a passenger could expect the bus throughout the school day. As of 15 July, the bus no longer offers its services between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm. The route runs from Karori to Miramar through Victoria and Massey’s campuses.
“Students aren’t at some office pulling a 9-5. Our hours are all over the place,” said Anna Hamilton, an architecture master’s student. “I may as well walk because of the amount of time it takes to get to [Te Aro] campus. The bus stops so often because three buses were consolidated into one.”
Peter Thornbury noted that the No. 21 service from Courtenay Place runs every 10 minutes during the day to Kelburn Parade.

Snapper is now the only cashless payment mechanism for buses (though you still need to purchase paper tickets for trains).
For students, the major change is a 25% discount on all services, part of VUWSA’s advocacy to the council. Metlink has contacted those registered as full-time students via email; it takes a few minutes to apply the discount online with your card.
There’s also a 25% off peak discount and 50% discount for school students and people with disabilities.
Wellington has the highest per capita use of public transport in the country, according to Metlink. Use is expected to rise by 10% in the next six years.
Metlink is also embracing climate friendly transport. New buses are all low emission, including 10 double decker electric buses; MetLink is aiming to eventually have a fully electric fleet. By 2019 all buses will be equipped with bike racks that will be able to fit two bikes each.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this