August 6, 2018 | by  | in Access Denied |

Access Denied

Words of Wisdom from a Trimester Two Veteran

It’s Trimester Two. I know, ew. The weather sucks, everyone is coughing all over each other, and it gets dark so early you come home after sunset. After (way too many) years at university, one thing I’ve learned about T2 is that it is a slog. It’s trudging through the mental muck as you navigate finding a summer job, flatting, finances, and last of all — somehow feeling the least important — your coursework. T2 is a balancing act that I still haven’t mastered.
The hardest part of T2 is that it’s in the middle of winter, and the Wellington weather doesn’t get much better until after the trimester ends and everyone is scrambling to study for exams. Despite the weather constantly changing, there are ways to fortify yourself for this trimester.
Taking care of yourself and your health is the most important part of staying on top of your studies during winter. Wrap up warm and drink lots of water, try to get some sunlight when you can. Mental health often dips in winter due to the lack of sunlight, and the pressure of the upcoming end of the year doesn’t make it any easier. If you find yourself struggling, contact your lecturers and tutors. Don’t leave getting extensions to the day an assignment is due. You are responsible for your learning. Take care of yourself, don’t sell yourself short by procrastinating things that help you.

I know, I know, I’ve said all of this before. But it’s true.
Sometimes we just need a reminder to give ourselves both leeway and discipline to ensure that we are successful. As always, contact Disability Services if you need to. They’re here for you, just as your lecturers and tutors are.

1. “The movement is diverse, the battlegrounds are different”: Talking feminism with Golriz Ghahraman.
  2. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  3. hidden figures
  4. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  5. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  6. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  7. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  8. Issue 15 – Feminism