August 20, 2018 | by  | in Editorial |

Editor’s Letter

This week Louise is snowed under with a bunch of editorial work and cannot do her editorial letter to all of you readers. So you’re stuck with the person that sits parallel to her in the office and whose job description is so dissimilar that she forgets I work here at times.
This week, I think we were supposed to write something about the free speech issue in regards to the whole Don Brash situation; but that’s not what we about to do. I’m gonna use this time to talk about something else.
On a dark and damp Tuesday around 11PM, I begin to slip into the ground-zero state of my mind and subconsciously prioritize my need to sleep and forget to reply to any “upto” messages I get from then on. All music goes off and my phone is put on silent so it can sleep under the pillow next to me. All of the lights dim to black and I begin to embark on the strenuous journey of sleeping.
My mind races around at a crazy pace as I analyse my deep ambitions, dreams, regrets; my beautiful dark twisted fantasies. My eyes adjust to my room which is no longer lit up by screens and inboxes, rather, by the strobing street light outside. I stop and listen; something I don’t do often enough.
I listen to the wind torture the trees outside and paint blood on the leaves. The static stops. I forget about what I have on my to-do list and the people I have to text back. I step back and realise how much I’ve taken in of my day. I can’t remember the people I met. I can’t remember the meals I ate or the amount of money I spent. I hardly recall my last conversation and whatthat person said. I know I heard em’ say something, but it didn’t resonate with me. Conversations had with people I love are placed on a packed 12-lane highway leading to a tunnel that feeds into one large channel of chaos and scenes my mind is unable to paint. My entire day is thrown through the wire and jumbled into an archive file I’ll never actually look at willingly.
This week, I want you to take a step back from the static that you hear everyday. Listen to understand instead of just hearing people talk about shit you don’t want to hear. I find that we latch onto certain sections of an anecdote to respond to instead of listening to the entire story. At the end of it I feel as if one person leaves with misconceptions and the other person leaves feeling unheard. There is no worse feeling than not being heard.

I’m challenging you to listen more. Take it in and exhale it. As you find yourself turning your lights off and hopping into bed, drift into a 4th dimension knowing that you have collected all you can from your day. You have learned everything you possibly can from your encounters and you are ready to rest for what seems like 30 hours.
Wake up Mr. West.