August 13, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Marlon the MVP Brings Back the Number 18!

The No. 18e “Campus Connection” will soon start operating during off peak hours, after a decision made by the Greater Wellington Regional Council.
On 8 August, members of the public along with city councillors filed into the Sustainable Transport Committee meeting to air their grievances. VUWSA president Marlon Drake went and presented to the GWRC on behalf of the students, saying that the current 18e timetable “”doesn’t reflect the real timetable of a student”.
Massey and Victoria students were upset when Metlink slashed the route’s faithful hours of operation. In 2015, when the GWRC originally proposed to cut the 18, VUWSA made a campaign to keep the route, which resulted in the retention of 18e during peak hours.
Marlon said, “after some conversation with GWRC, Daran Ponter, and lots of feedback from students, it was clear that the loss of the Number 18e all day service was a loss for our community”.
At the meeting, the GWRC councillors admitted that there were “lots of things” wrong with the buses. As well as reinstating the 18, they also agreed to start fining bus companies if they weren’t up to standard, to review the timetables and capacities of core bus routes, as well as the timeframe for making changes.
To the joy of many, the GWRC voted to reinstate the 18 at the meeting. The council admitted that the bus problems won’t be a simple fix, but it’s a start. Marlon said “this shows that students are starting to be seen as a serious part of the region, and that when we voice our concerns they are heard”.
A Council spokesperson said that they were unsure of when exactly the bus would be reinstated.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos