August 20, 2018 | by  | in Mauri Ora |

Mauri Ora

Guest Post by the Sustainability Trust

At Sustainability Trust, we’ve been helping people create warm and healthy homes around the Wellington region for the last 14 years, and are well aware of the challenges students face finding affordable places to rent that are warm and healthy. We’ve heard some common themes: power imbalance between landlord and tenant, high electricity bills in winter, lack of awareness on how to properly look after a property.
As many of you will know, the biggest difference to a warm house is proper insulation. An uninsulated property can lose up to 35% of its heat through the ceiling. Solutions like portable heaters will then just lead to sky rocketing power bills.
However times are changing. The new Residential Tenancies Act means that all rental properties (with accessible floor and ceiling space) must be insulated by July 2019, or the landlord risks a fine of up to $4000.
We have been working with landlords and property managers around Wellington, insulating thousands of rental properties over the last few years. But there are still A LOT of houses left to do. Too many to fit in before the deadline.
If you have a landlord that doesn’t use a property manager, they may not know about the new regulations. They may want to wait until the last minute to get it installed. Or they may think they can just throw some insulation bales up in the ceiling space and call it done. They can’t.
So we have a plan to help. If you introduce us to your landlord and they proceed with an insulationinstall through us* before the end of 2018, we will give you a $100 voucher to spend in our EcoShop, and give your landlord a 10% discount. Everybody wins!
Not sure how to start the conversation? Email us at jamesb@sustaintrust.org.nz and we’ll even give you a template email with all the necessary information – all you’ll need to do is change the name.

Get in touch!

*Ts & Cs apply