August 20, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Political Round Up

Simon Bridges Travel Costs Leaked
National Party Leader Simon Bridges has saying that he wants a full inquiry into the leak that revealed he spent over $113,000 on business travel.
The information, which was leaked to Newshub, showed that the MP had spent this money on travel expenses and accommodation in April and June,. Speculation about who leaked the information to the media was rife, with most people pointing the finger at National Caucus members, who had exclusive access to the information. National members attending caucus on Tuesday 14 all denied snitching, with Simon Bridges saying he retains full confidence in all his MPs. “I don’t think it’s about me or the Opposition, it’s ultimately about the fact that a leak such as this can potentially affect all members of Parliament.” Every MP’s travel expenses are given to party caucus members to review before release to the public.
The Labour Party were also accused of being a source of the leak, with party leader Jacinda Ardern maintaining that her party didn’t have access to the information that was only available to National Caucus members. “The only groups as I understand who will have had access will be the opposition themselves and the Speaker.”
David Seymour ACTs on a New Game Plan
ACT Leader David Seymour is opting for a significant shakeup following his party’s latest conference.
In an address in Orakei on Saturday 11th, he presented his “Smaller Government Bill”, which would reduce the number of MPs currently in Parliament from 120 to 100. He also pledged that he would want to see a smaller executive ministerial branch of government, and the abolition of Māori seats. This would slash the number of seats in Parliament Labour holds by seven. Seymour’s bill has the chance of making it to the house for debate only if it is picked at random from the ballot.
NZ First and National have both expressed some form of support for a smaller government and legislature size in the past. National spokesperson for electoral reform Nick Smith stated that while National is sympathetic for the bill, they will not support it in its current form. “It comes at substantive expense to the government and taxpayers, and we don’t necessarily think that’s going to result in any improvement to the quality of government.”