August 20, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Post Cabinet Roundup

It was the second post cabinet press conference for Jacinda Ardern since returning from maternity leave. She wasn’t the only one running the show on a Monday arvo; she brought along Ministers Meka Whaitiri and a taller-in-real-life Shane Jones along for the ride. Shane could not look more bored when he was talking about the taxpayer funded gardening that was to follow.
An Insight into Jacinda’s Weekly Schedule
On Tuesday she announced a pay equity scheme, for female support workers in education, but admitted that it was a relatively small step in addressing these problems. Thursday was tiki tour day to the Wairarapa, making her first regional trip since being back in office. Friday, she was due to address a bunch of construction workers and engineers at the National Infrastructure Conference.

One Billion Trees by 2028

$245 million more from the Provincial Growth Fund will be spent on the One Billion Trees program. It’s great to see one of the government’s goals was to make 1/3 of the trees planted OG NZ species. Trees are to be planted in strategic places, with the east coast falling away underneath people’s feet as a possible reason for planting in that location. Meka Whaitiri elaborated who was doing “the mahi” for the planting, saying that there was increased participation of women and Māori workers.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos