August 20, 2018 | by  | in Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

I’m somewhere around 2 metres tall and I absolutely love basketball. That makes me a bit of a cliche, but it also gives me an advantage in a game I really love. I’ve been shooting hoops since I was a kid, and I played in high school for a couple of years. I wanted to dedicate this column to Coach Tai, who passed away last week.

I spent hours and hours on the court with him on the sideline, always backing me. When I started playing under him, I was a lanky skinny giant who wasn’t coordinated enough to shoot, and by the end of it I was a lanky skinny giant dunking and smashing hoops. He taught me a lot over the years I knew him, about basketball and myself. So a special shout out in today’s column to Tai and the family, as well as the Western Springs College senior boys team of 2013 who learnt so much from him.
Community is so so important and I encourage anybody reading to reflect on the community they are from. Some of us in Wellington are a long way from home, and it’s easy to feel disconnected, but our upbringing is always a part of us through the words we say and the things we do. So go on, reach out to those people who helped you become you. Real friendships don’t disappear, they’re just sleeping, waiting for you to wake them up!

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties