Queer Coverage: Local, National, and International LGBTQIA+ News

Petition to End Gay Conversion Therapy
On 18 July a petition to “end gay conversion therapy” was presented to Parliament.
The petition was presented by Young Greens representative Max Tweedie and Young Labour representative Teri O’Neill. The petition encourages the House of Representatives to “ban gay [and transgender] conversion therapy, being any form of treatment or psychotherapy which aims to change, eliminate, or suppress same-sex attraction, or to cure a lack of opposite-sex attraction [or changes to gender identity]”. Labour list MP Marja Lubeck accepted the petition on behalf of the New Zealand Government. Combined with member of the public Amanda Ashley’s Change.org petition — also to end conversion therapy — 20,000 signatures were received.
Changes on the Horizon For Gender Markers on Birth Certificates
The Select Committee for Births, Deaths, Marriages and Relationships Registration Act 1995 announced changes to the process for amending gender markers on birth certificates.
These changes would:
• replace a Family Court application with a statutory declaration process that enables a people to affirm their self-defined gender identity,
• remove any other eligibility requirements, such as the need for medical evidence and
• enable gender markers to be recognised as male, female, or as a third, non-binary gender.

Community organisations Gender Minorities Aotearoa, Rainbow Youth, and InsideOUT released a joint public statement along with several other rainbow organisations and community members in support of these changes. Sally Dellow, speaking on behalf of those involved with the joint public statement said, “This makes a huge difference to takatāpui, trans, and non-binary people when they get married, have children, sign their parent’s death certificate, or have to show their birth certificate. It has no impact on the equivalent rights for other people”.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy