August 20, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

Under the current housing shortage, landlords and property management have major leverage on prospective tenants (i.e. bidding wars at open house, asking for bank statements). Do you think this should be addressed? Why or why not? If so, how?

VicLabour

The little regulation free-market route isn’t working. Rentals can be both damp and cold which has resulted in many being unsafe to occupy, yet we have little choice. Rents continue to rise unjustifiably, while we may be evicted from our homes within a few weeks, with no reason necessary and while the rental enforcement system our bonds pay for is by and large used against us by landlords. Currently, with a leftie council and a leftie Govt — we have a once in a decade chance to fix this.

Renters United have delivered a comprehensive policy platform which would fix, security of tenure, affordability, quality, and enforcement. VicLabour backs their plan. You can find it at this link: fixrenting.org.nz.

When our government (Local and General) ask for consultation, be heard! The voices behind the big money in property management will be submitting, but we have far more invested. The quality of our livelihoods depends on this action being a comprehensive and strong stance. Our houses should be our homes.

VicNats

The best way to level the playing field is by increasing the housing supply. The previous National Government had a comprehensive housing plan that was addressing this issue. On the other hand Labour’s Kiwibuild program is already proving to be another broken promise.

The Government needs to deliver the housing program they promised instead of pushing the traditional Labour/NZ First line of blaming foreign buyers.

ACT on Campus 

The number one issue with housing is the lack of it. All you need is a simple understanding of the principles of economics to know that the more availability, the lower the price (supply and demand). This is why ACT stood alone campaigning for an RMA overhaul to free up land for building and in turn making more affordable homes. National has since jumped on board with this idea and the government has also recognized that something needs to be done and has no doubt set up a working group to discuss it. As for tenant rights, asking for bank statements is an invasion of privacy and is not acceptable. People have a right to spend money on what they like without the threat of landlords judging them. Tenants could potentially be protected from this through a change to the Residential Tenancies Act.