August 20, 2018 | by  | in Film |

The Ties That Bind

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again

4.5/5

This movie felt to me like the musical version of Eat, Pray, Love. A woman goes on a journey to find herself, eating good food, and getting the D in exotic places — all underpinned by wonderful ABBA music, and comedy gold. Special shout-out to the zingers from Christine Baranski’s Tanya every moment she was on screen.
Every scene had ended on elements of delight. Even when there was conflict, it never felt tense. The plot was a bit confusing from time to time, but that just added to the fun, I mean what else was Cher’s purpose in the film otherwise? The film always let us know things would work out; with flashbacks to the past, and a continuation of the future in one film, we are in a position where we know exactly what happens. The film wants us to know this is a film about happy endings. It is a celebration of love, life, and the magic of letting go. (And yes, being the crowd pleaser that it is, Meryl Streep is in the film).
The film was heartfelt, gleeful, and uplifting. It truly brought comforting good vibes, conflict resolution in each scene, often doing it so through the power of song. Straight from the get go, the healing power of song and its capability for expression was set out in the opening number of “Thank You For The Music”.
Not only is the film a feel good film about love, life, and self- expression, but it is an open love letter to music and song itself. That is the magic driving this film.