Vic Books: The Plot Thickens on Vegetarian Yoghurt

Uncertainty has risen as to whether the yoghurt served at Vic Books is vegetarian and whether it has been advertised as so.
“A little bird” tipped Salient that the Meadow Fresh Greek yoghurt contained halal gelatine, a by-product of meat production.
When we asked for comment, Juliet Blyth, Manager of Vic Books, first responded with “we stopped using Meadowfresh yogurt for precisely that reason”. However, a quick confirmation from Vic Books employees showed that on the contrary, Vic Books Pipitea was serving Meadow Fresh, as of Thursday 16 August.
One employee, who we have agreed not to name, said “at no point have we been given an alternative option”.

They said “[customers are] buying a product under false pretenses, and I believe they have been purposely misinformed. It’s ethically abhorrent”.
Blyth denies that Vic Books had advertised their granola and yogurt pots as vegetarian.
Vic Books had previously used Zany Zeus Greek yoghurt, a local company based in Wellington. The company has confirmed this product is free from gelatine and other stabilisers. Vic Books manager Juliet Blyth states that the café had to stop using this product, as it was not cost effective.

In a follow up email two days after the original, Blyth stated that vegetarian yoghurt would be in use from Saturday 18 August.

It is uncertain as to whether other on-campus food outlets have followed a similar approach to that of Vic Books. However, it can be confirmed that Milk and Honey make their own vegan coconut yoghurt for all you lucky postgraduates and teaching staff, who are clearly receiving the cream of the crop.

Maybe that’s a motivation to graduate and do a Master’s degree?