September 17, 2018 | by  | in Access Denied |

Access Denied

Disability and Sex/Sexuality
A common misconception about disabled people is that they are non-sexual or unable to have sex, especially those with physical impairments. If they do want sex, it is often assumed that no one would desire them, and they must hire a sex worker in order to have sex.
These are common misconceptions because there is little to no sexual education surrounding sex and disability. However, I have spent some time digging to find some resources that might answer some burning questions that you may have concerning how disabled people have sex and feel about sex.
First up is a YouTube video published by the Health Equity Institute in collaboration with the San Francisco State University (SFSU) as part of a transdisciplinary film production course called “Documentary for Health and Social Justice”. The video is called (Sex)abled: Disability Uncensored (2013). It’s a fantastic insight into the different experiences of disabled people and their feelings about sex and sexuality. (Captioned)

The next is a podcast created by Andrew Gurza, a disabled queer man, called Disability After Dark which covers a multitude of topics discussing disability, sex, and identity. These podcasts don’t pull any punches and are frank and upfront about many issues. Andrew also interviews other disabled people about their experiences, is a sparkling conversationalist and has a great sense of humour, making his podcasts both educational and hilarious.
It’s only taboo if you make it that way. The more we learn and talk about sex and disability, the more accessible our society becomes — not just physically, but socially and sexually too.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this