Clubs Want to Jump Ship

In a recent survey to university clubs, 62% of respondents believed that the administration of clubs on campus should go to VUWSA. Currently, the university manages clubs through Victoria Recreation.

Overall, 39% of Vic’s 174 clubs responded to the survey.

Clubs and Activities officer, Connor MacLeod, said that “it’s clear that there is a mandate for change, and we need to listen to that”.
He said that the proposal to shift clubs management to VUWSA started on a clubs level.
“A lot of clubs share my view, that Victoria Recreation weren’t properly managing clubs.”
Connor said that the reasons the proposed change would improve accessibility, community, and accountability.
“VUWSA is both physically and emotionally accessible to students. Physically, because Vic Rec is down a gravel drive, and emotionally, as VUWSA has no age gap with students.”

He said that current management “lacks transparency” and isn’t “trying to build communities”.
Lars Thompson, a representative of the Politics Society, said that PolSoc had been supportive of the proposal from an early stage.
“VUWSA seems like a more empathetic and approachable organisation than Vic, being actually overseen by a student executive. Currently Vic and VUWSA share many responsibilities, making it confusing for clubs to know who to approach in any given situation,” said Lars.
The proposal for VUWSA administered clubs include the creation of a new online portal to centralise information, changes in funding allocation to a more sustainable model, and the purchase of gear, such as a marquee and a PA system, to hire out to clubs.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this