Political Round Up

The Clare Curran Saga Wraps Up
Two weeks after she was kicked out of cabinet, Clare Curran has resigned as a minister for the coalition government.

On 7 September, Clare Curran offered her resignation to the Prime Minister, which she accepted. This comes after Curran failed to answer several questions from the National party at Question Time about uses of her personal Gmail account for government business and about other meetings she had failed to disclose. She addressed media from her Dunedin office, saying that she could no longer face the amount of pressure she was facing from critics. “I have made some mistakes. But my mistakes have been greatly amplified and the pressure on me has become intolerable.”
Clare Curran will remain in the House of Representatives as MP for Dunedin South.

Nikki Kaye’s Second Language Bill
A bill that has been drawn from the members’ biscuit tin will make the teaching of a second language in primary and intermediate schools mandatory.
The bill, from MP for Auckland Central Nikki Kaye, means that students from years one to eight will have to be taught a second language other than English. If passed, the Minister of Education will set a list of at least ten priority languages that would be available to teach, which would include te reo and sign language, and the decision on which languages would be taught in a school is up to that school’s board.
Kaye stated that if her bill is passed into law, it would see an increase in young New Zealanders speaking te reo.
Rental WOFs Should be Mandatory – Greens
Green Party Leader Marama Davidson has called on the government to implement an in-depth warrant of fitness scheme for rental homes.
A rental WOF would make tenants more confident about the condition of their house, and if a house is found to be under standard, the property cannot be rented out. Landlords would also have to make sure their houses are equipped with basic facilities and plumbing. WOFs would be enforced by regular inspections by accredited inspectors.

“This would mean all of us would live in a warm, dry, healthy home — that’s why it’s crucial we have a comprehensive Rental Warrant of Fitness scheme to uphold the Government’s Healthy Homes Guarantee.”
National’s Housing and Urban Development Spokesperson Judith Collins told RNZ that the proposed scheme would leave some people homeless and that homes that are in squalid condition are already in breach of the laws currently in place.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June