Queer Coverage: Local, National, and International LGBTQIA+ News

Marco Marco Feature All-Trans Line Up at NYFW
Fashion house Marco Marco featured 34 transgender models at their New York Fashion Week show this year, which is being hailed as a groundbreaking event in the fashion industry. Marco Morante, the designer, said that he wanted to create a space to “celebrate trans bodies”.
“This was an opportunity for their presence to be undeniable, and reinforce that trans is beautiful,” he added. YouTuber Gigi Gorgeous and actor Trace Lysette, who appeared in the show Transparent, were among those who modelled the new collection. Lysette said she has “never been model industry standard, and [never wants to be]”. She thanked Marco Marco for “embracing ALL types of beauty”. Actor Laverne Cox was at the show, describing it as “yet another fulfilment of the empowerment of trans beauty”.
California First State to Denounce ”Corrective” Surgery on Intersex Childre

The legislature of California have passed a resolution condemning the procedure of “corrective” surgery on intersex children. Babies born with ambiguous genitalia are subjected to invasive surgery to “correct” the genitalia in order to conform to the binary norm of a penis or vulva. From around the 1950s, doctors gave the parents the option to have their child’s genitals “corrected”. While this practice is widely condemned by intersex advocacy groups, there are not always laws to prevent these surgeries from happening. While this resolution being passed is an important step forward for the state to support its intersex residents, it doesn’t ban the surgery. Advocates hope it’ll begin a trend where “corrective” surgery is banned by law.

“It means for the very first time a U.S. legislative body has affirmatively recognized that intersex children deserve dignity and the right to make decisions about their own bodies ― just like everyone else,” executive director of interACT, Kimberly Zieselman, told Huffington Post.
Family First Label Government’s Proposed Changes to Birth Certificates “Disturbing”
The New Zealand Government has proposed to change the law to make it easier to make changes to birth certificates. The proposed changes include being able to change your gender marking with a statutory declaration from the individual, as opposed to having to go through the Family Court, which can be a lengthy and expensive process. Guardians would be able to complete a statutory declaration to change a child’s gender.

The proposal also adds a non-binary marker be added alongside male and female. Bob McCoskrie, national director of Family First, said this should not be allowed. “The certificates will become an object of unscientific gender ideology and effectively tell medical professionals that they got it wrong at the time of birth. Circumstances may change but a historical document should not be able to be changed.” He went on to say that [regarding trans and non-binary identifying youth], “the overwhelming majority of children grow out of it by the time they hit puberty”.