September 17, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Task Force Apointed to Save the World From Boring PowerPoints

Victoria University has begun a new task force to identify lecturers who have consistently ill-designed PowerPoint slides.

“Students are struggling to pay attention to slides with no margins, or pink backgrounds,” said Dee Sigma, the leader of the task force.
Once identified, target lecturers will be given a series of seminars on appropriate text-to-image ratios, and an e-pack of templates. They will be subject to quarterly assessments to ensure that they are using these tools correctly to convey information effectively through words and text on a screen.

“This seemed like a worthy investment of our resources,” said Meera Shah, VUW’s head of professional development. “Students learning effectively is much more important to us than our international reputation and research profile.”

Some lecturers were worried about the task force. “I have 80 100-level lab reports to mark before Wednesday,” said a harried Marcus Moua, biology lecturer. “I don’t have time to learn how to make better powerpoints.” He showed Salient some of his presentations, flicking through each slide for a few seconds. They largely consisted of badly cropped pictures of pages from the textbook.
“I don’t think I have a problem with PowerPoint presentations,” said Eliza Tsai, Associate Professor of commerce. “I use flash transitions, like spinning effects or curtains between slides so that students stay interested.”
Most students welcomed the news. “Best thing I’ve heard all day. Poorly designed presentations tie with online shopping as a barrier to my learning,” said Kahani Ahmad, classics student.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*