Viewport width =
September 24, 2018 | by  | in News |
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter

The Wait is Over, But Where to Next?

VUWSA’s The Wait is Over campaign is continuing to make waves, following last month’s march on Parliament. The protest saw hundreds of students march from Pipitea Campus to Parliament, demanding better mental health services for tertiary students. Since then, VUWSA representatives have met with Minister for Health David Clark to discuss the need for improvements in mental health care.
VUWSA president Marlon Drake told Salient the meeting itself was a “massive achievement”.
“It was only possible because of the students who supported our campaign on the banner, online, and on the day. Students are now on the agenda when it comes to mental health.”
Several candidates for next year’s VUWSA executive have expressed their interest in continuing the campaign at the 2019 candidate forum last Wednesday. Marlon said that for now the focus is on self-care, continuing to hold important conversations around mental health, and maintaining the political connections that will allow the campaign to achieve its vision.
“We’re going to continue communicating with the minister, looking to push for a commitment going into next year’s budget,” said Marlon.

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter

About the Author ()

Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent posts

  1. Laneway: Luck of the Draw
  2. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June
  3. SWAT
  4. Ravished by the Living Embodiment of All Our University Woes
  5. New Zealand’s First Rainbow Crossing is Here (and Queer)
  6. Chloe Has a Yarn About Mental Health
  7. “Stick with Vic” Makes “Insulting” and “Upsetting” Comments
  8. Presidential Address
  9. Final Review
  10. Tears Fall, and Sea Levels Rise

Editor's Pick

This Ain’t a Scene it’s a Goddamned Arm Wrestle

: Interior – Industrial Soviet Beerhall – Night It was late November and cold as hell when I stumbled into the Zhiguli Beer Hall. I was in Moscow, about to take the trans-Mongolian rail line to Beijing, and after finding someone in my hostel who could speak English, had decided