October 8, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Daylight Savings, Level Up

One Victoria student has taken an innovative approach to improve his class attendance.
Rhett Shannon, a commerce student, once lived semi nocturnally: he rarely woke before noon, and tended to stay up working until the early hours of the morning.
“It’s the illicit connotations of 2am that really get me going,” he told Salient. “On my assignments, I mean.”
Unfortunately, this meant that Shannon did not attend any of his morning lectures or tutorials for the entirety of Trimester Two.

However, everything changed with daylight savings.
“I realised: if we can change the time to suit the day, why not change it even more, so it suits me even better?” he said.
When everyone else moved the clocks forward by an hour on 30 September, Shannon moved his clock forward four extra hours. “My phone thinks I’m in Guatemala city, and that it’s yesterday,” he said.
With his classes now starting at 1pm, rather than 8am, Shannon is able to attend the last two weeks of lectures.
“Some people think I’m just lying to myself, but they’re wrong. I’m much happier this way,” he said.
At time of press, Shannon was going to bed. It was 3am in Guatemala.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this