October 1, 2018 | by  | in Food |

Flat Bread Recipe

Flatbread sits at a comfortable midpoint between cost, effort, and taste. When a whole bag of flour is $2, making weekly batches of flat bread is an essential way to cut your grocery bill down. Apart from costing next to nothing, it goes along well with late winter soups and curries. Start to finish, the whole preparation should take you 30 minutes — perfect for a break between readings.
Ingredients
Flat bread
2 cups of wholemeal flour (white/all purpose flour also works)
1 cup of boiling water
2 pinches of salt
2 tablespoons of oil
Yoghurt dip
1 pottle of unsweetened yoghurt
3 clove of garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
Pinch of your preferred spice blend
1/2 cucumber grated finely
Method
Bread
I usually start the flatbread about 2 hours before I want to eat, to give it some time in the fridge. Start by adding the flour and salt to a bowl, then slowly mix the boiling water into the dry ingredients. When there are no unmixed dry ingredients then the dough is ready for a tablespoon of oil. The dough will initially look a bit “shaggy” and crumbly, but as you move it around with the oil it will become smoother and more substantial. The dough should cool down quickly so that you can knead it for about 10 minutes on a floured surface. Then wrap in some glad wrap and put it in the fridge.

After about 2 hours of chilling, turn the dough onto a floured bench and separate it into balls. This should make about 5-6 flatbread balls. Then roll each ball out to your desired size. It’s better to make them reasonably thin so that the bread is cooked through when you fry it. Flour the bread lightly, so that they don’t stick together before you cook them. I like to use a heavier pan to cook these, something like a cast iron or stainless steel is better if you have access to it. Set it on the hob at a medium heat and oil the pan with about 1 tablespoon. You may have to change the oil as you fry more bread (remember not to chuck it down the sink!). When the pan is to temperature, place a flat bread in the centre. Fry either side until it whitens and becomes golden brown. At this point the centre should be cooked as well. Rest the breads on a wire rack to cool and drain the oil.
I sometimes make this with peanut butter or garlic and herbs folded into the bread, but this also works plain with yoghurt dip. This yogurt dip is similar to cucumber raita or tzatziki and it’s great to eat alongside spicy foods to cool your mouth.
Yogurt Dip
Start mincing the garlic, if you have a food processor/blender this would be ideal. Grate the cucumber quite finely and add it to the garlic, yoghurt, and lemon juice in a bowl. This is a good base dip to add things to. From here you could add fresh chopped coriander and mint, or green onions. Dried coriander and cumin is a great blend, paprika and a little bit of nutmeg is another option.