“It’s Not an Eviction” – VUW

After over two weeks of silence, Victoria University has spoken out about the student who was evicted from her hall following a suicide attempt.
“In the case in question our staff met with the student and one of the parents to discuss the best plan for their health, safety and recovery,” said Grant Guilford, our favourite Vice Chancellor.
He also lashed out at media coverage of the event, saying that calling it an “eviction” was “inaccurate, misleading, and irresponsible”.
Dani Saundry, the student in question, chose to put her name forward after the original article was published. On her public Facebook, she wrote, “If what Guilford claims happened *actually* was what happened when a crisis as such occurred, there would not be so many horrific stories of mistreatment of mental health within student accommodation walls.”
“We know it’s not just one student, it’s not just one time – our students are struggling in our communities,” said VUWSA President Marlon Drake.
Dani said that if her father had not flown down to be with her, she would have been “on the street”.
“We tautoko Dani and her bravery to speak out about a hugely difficult period in her life – students like her are the reason things will change.” said Marlon.
“We have amazing frontline services at Mauri Ora, we have passionate RAs, we know there are people at this university who care and want to do more,” he said. “However university leaders, and the institution as a whole, need to own the fact that poor mental health is an issue within our community.”
“This is not an issue to be silent on.”

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos