October 15, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Post Cab Round Up

It was Jacinda’s first Post Cab press conference since returning from her trip. Last Monday the PM offered a critique of fuel companies. She brought along Ministers Megan Woods and Chris Faafoi to help her answer questions.
The PM’s Week Ahead
On Tuesday, Jacinda Ardern travelled to the Wairarapa with Minister of Agriculture Damien O’Connor and provided an update into the government’s work in tackling the outbreak of Mycoplasma bovis, a disease causing a range of health problems for cattle.

As of 5 October, 38 farms in New Zealand were affected by this disease. On Wednesday, she joined Commerce and Consumer Affairs Minister Chris Faafoi in Auckland to announce new crackdowns on independent lending groups. Budgeting groups welcomed the announcement by the government, saying that a fine of $600,000 would be a huge deterrent for loan sharks. On Thursday, she launched the new Strategy for Women and Girls in Sport, with Sport and Recreation Minister Grant Robertson at Eden Park in Auckland. Friday’s Auckland agenda was a mix, with various meetings and announcements.
The Insane Fuel Prices
Jacinda dedicated most of the Press Conference clarifying to the press about the state of the fuel prices and taxes.
Fuel in New Zealand has the highest pre-tax prices in the OECD. In 2008 we were one of the lowest. This year, fuel prices have rose almost 39c a litre. The PM has said that the high fuel prices are the result of NZers being “fleeced” by fuel companies. She prioritised the passing of the government’s Commerce Amendment Bill, which is currently at the select committee stage.
The bill would require fuel companies to cooperate with the government to investigate fuel pricing. “This bill will create the ability to undertake market studies and will compel companies to produce information to the Commerce Commission to fully understand how markets are functioning.” Ardern acknowledged this bill was necessary, as fuel companies have refused to cooperate with Government before.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel