Queer Coverage: Local, National, and International LGBTQIA+ News

Stonewall Picture Book for Kids to be Released April 2019

Author Rob Sanders will be releasing a picture book, Stonewall: A Building. An Uprising. A Revolution., in April 2019 to commemorate 50 years since the Stonewall riots. The book will cover the events of 28 June 1969, when patrons of the Stonewall Inn fought back against a police raid (the raids were a very common occurrence in LGBTQIA+ establishments, with homosexuality being illegal in America at the time). [Sanders] said he first got the idea for the book in 2016, “when former President Barack Obama designated the inn and its environs in Manhattan’s West Village neighborhood as the country’s first national monument to LGBTQ rights”. In a rather different approach to how children’s books are written, Sanders has written the book from the viewpoint of the Stonewall Inn itself. And although aimed primarily at children, he said he wanted “readers — children, teenagers, and others — to take away the understanding that each of us has to stand up for ourselves and our rights, and that our efforts are stronger when we combine our energy and passion.” He previously authored a picture book titled Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag, which aimed to break down the concepts of LGBTQIA+ rights for a younger audience.
Los Angeles Held First City-Wide Bisexual Pride in the US

On 22 September Los Angeles became the first city in the US to hold a Bisexual Pride event. The event was held the day before Bisexual Visibility Day. Bi Pride was organised by the City of West Hollywood, amBI LA (the Los Angeles chapter of a nationwide social group for bisexual individuals, their partners, and allies) and Human Rights Campaign LA. Ian Lawrence-Tourinho, President of the amBi network, told Pink News “the organisers want[ed] to signal to the bi community that they are welcome… even during LA LGBT Pride (which takes place in West Hollywood) what you might expect to be a time of great acceptance and openness – bi people are frequently met with hostility and aggression at the celebrations”. The event coincided with Bisexual Visibility Day to help combat bi erasure. “That’s where the idea for the big Bi Pride event including a Bi Visibility Walk came from,” he added. “That bi people are here, that we matter, that being bi is great and something to be celebrated!”
NHS Sued for Failing to Offer Fertility Services to Transgender Patients
The National Health Service (NHS) in England is being sued for failing to offer transgender patients the opportunity to store their eggs or sperm before beginning their medical transition. According to Pink News, “The Equality and Human Rights Commission will take legal action, arguing that not offering treatments equally to patients restricts their options for reproduction”. The NHS has stated that it is not their responsibility to make sure fertility services are available to patients. Trans patients may wish to have biological children later in life, and although an expensive process, surrogacy is an available option.