October 8, 2018 | by  | in The F Word |

The F Word

Viva La Revolution
There are a lot of things to be angry about this year. Granted, there were a lot of things to be angry about last year, and you can be damn sure that there will be things to be angry about next year, and every year onwards. Because shit happens annually, after all.

That said… What the fuck, Victoria University? Or, University of Wellington — whatever the fuck we’re calling you now. A University’s utmost priority should always be the students. When we have complaints, you should listen to them. When we have struggles, you should help us overcome them.
What you definitely shouldn’t do, is kick us out of our homes out of concern for your reputation. Then again, maybe your fears were warranted — your reputation is certainly under question now, if only by us meddling kids.
Then again, meddling kids have always been at the forefront of revolutions. It was Kim Ju-Yul, a high school student and protester, whose murder sparked the rage of over 100,000 fellow students, and eventually led to the overturning of a corrupt government in South Korea. In the height of Nazi rule, it was students from the University of Munich that formed the White Rose Society, and launched an anti-Nazi campaign to share the extent of Nazi atrocities. It was thousands of black high school students in Soweto, South Africa, who demanded equal opportunities for education during an era of apartheid. Today, it is high schoolers marching for their lives after having witnessed their classmates being gunned down around them. Students are the leaders of the future, and our journeys begin with standing up to the wrongdoings of the leaders of today.
So I think you underestimate us, University of Wellington. We may only be young, and we may not have that “world experience” that you so avidly cherish, but what we do have is passion, and anger.
And those two things can be all you need, when sparking a revolution.