October 1, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

VUW Students Perfect Their Work-Life-Study Balance

For students, it’s important to have a healthy work-life-study balance. This can be challenging, but students of VUW rise to the occasion. Salient talked to several students about how they balance their various responsibilities.
“It’s really important to me to make sure that my job doesn’t take away from my study,” said Emerald McMatthews. As a gymnastics coach, she often balances on a beam to teach young gymnasts, but “they don’t mind if I dictate an essay into my phone at the same time”.
McMatthews finds that this balance works for her. “I’m a highly trained gymnast, and I only fall off sometimes,” she said.

As a bartender, Juniper Green spends their evenings balancing trays of cocktails. “But I can balance equations at the same time by doing my statistics coursework simultaneously,” they said, explaining how they print out their questions and hold it in their other hand while serving. “I have served a few people 2.2% margin of errors or two-sided tests instead of margaritas,” they said. “But I’m balancing it regardless.”
Elliot Tagovailoa works as a ship boy on the fair ship Cutlass, the main vessel of Wellington Pirates. He prioritises relationships with friends even when he’s busy. “The best time for keeping up with my streaks is when I’m leading hostages down the plank to their deaths. I balance on the plank and type at the same time.” He’s only toppled in a few times, “and then I always get a bonus”.
VUW students continue to demonstrate that it is possible to balance work, life, and study.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this