October 1, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

VUW Students Perfect Their Work-Life-Study Balance

For students, it’s important to have a healthy work-life-study balance. This can be challenging, but students of VUW rise to the occasion. Salient talked to several students about how they balance their various responsibilities.
“It’s really important to me to make sure that my job doesn’t take away from my study,” said Emerald McMatthews. As a gymnastics coach, she often balances on a beam to teach young gymnasts, but “they don’t mind if I dictate an essay into my phone at the same time”.
McMatthews finds that this balance works for her. “I’m a highly trained gymnast, and I only fall off sometimes,” she said.

As a bartender, Juniper Green spends their evenings balancing trays of cocktails. “But I can balance equations at the same time by doing my statistics coursework simultaneously,” they said, explaining how they print out their questions and hold it in their other hand while serving. “I have served a few people 2.2% margin of errors or two-sided tests instead of margaritas,” they said. “But I’m balancing it regardless.”
Elliot Tagovailoa works as a ship boy on the fair ship Cutlass, the main vessel of Wellington Pirates. He prioritises relationships with friends even when he’s busy. “The best time for keeping up with my streaks is when I’m leading hostages down the plank to their deaths. I balance on the plank and type at the same time.” He’s only toppled in a few times, “and then I always get a bonus”.
VUW students continue to demonstrate that it is possible to balance work, life, and study.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future