VUWSA Creates Sustainability Day

Vic’s first Sustainability Day took place in the Hub last Wednesday, as a follow-up from Sustainability Week earlier in the year.
The clubs reconvened months after the week of events in May. They have since been formalised into the Sustainability Committee, and last week’s event was done in conjunction with VUWSA as a further promotion of sustainable living, and to wrap up a year of events done by the clubs.
It was a couple of hours full of stalls with clothes, food, and people willing to talk about being ethical and non-wasteful consumers, and how to best live in an environmentally-friendly way.
Groups included the Victoria Development Society, who were gathering signatures for a petition to get the university fairtrade accredited. They also had an interactive painted map of the Pacific where people could write quotes about climate change. Co-president Katharine Woolrych said that they were hoping VUWSA would make the event annual, and that “it would be awesome to have more of the environmental clubs onboard next year too”.
Wā Collective was also present – a social enterprise which aimed to reduce period taboo, period poverty, and period waste. They sold subsidised menstrual cups for $15, which proved to be extremely popular.
In the courtyard outside, food trucks had long lines, the fruit market had (tiny) $1 avocados (or six for $4), and Trap Lordz brought along artist Theo Arraj, who created a trap art installation with the aim to educate on the importance of keeping New Zealand predator free. Weights anchored the installation as southerly winds brew through the courtyard.

Other groups such as Forest and Bird, Generation Zero, and Kaibosh Food Rescue promoted ways to create change from both political and activist standpoints in regards to achieving a net zero carbon emissions in New Zealand by 2050, as well as in reducing food waste in one’s own life. Plastic Diet/Waste Watchers were present, busy washing cups, as there was free tea and coffee offered from various stands throughout the day.
VUWSA’s Wellbeing and Sustainability officer Ella Hughes, who works closely with the Sustainability Committee, was manning the clothes swap stall throughout the event, where all items were $1. She said that there had been quite a bit of interaction throughout the day, and “even those who just walk through without interacting, it’s good to just occupy the space and remind people of the importance of sustainable living and being ethical consumers”.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel