February 25, 2019 | by  | in *News* |

A Lost Opportunity

On February 13, we were forced to love and leave our favourite 15-year-old in the cold red deserts of our imagination.

Taking humanity farther than it had ever been before, the Mars Rover (Opportunity) blitzed the competition for Best Teenager in the Universe for the third year in a row.

Commentators suggest the win may have something to do with it being 54.6 million kilometers away.

Unlike other teenagers, Opportunity gave us information about things we actually cared about without getting in our fucking way and being so annoying all the time.

NASA announced that after 830 missed calls, none of which Opportunity returned, it was time to give up hope and mourn the great loss.

NASA scientists suggested this was 40% fewer calls than required to contact their own adolescent children.

The Opportunity is only presumed dead, but as with most 15-year-olds, there is speculation he remains either:
A) Out of service.
B) Out of battery at a mate’s.
C) At Jessica’s again even though they broke up last week.

Locals were saddened to learn that the little rover had been travelling all the way to a desolate planet since 2003, just to die alone.

“What’s the point of getting photos from Mars in greyscale? They’ve basically already got a filter on them,” one particularly distraught mourner said to Salient.

Callum Turnbull, local Wellingtonian, expressed his condolences in an interview following the announcement.

“Gone too soon. Seems like it was just yesterday we went to his eleventh birthday party. Ever played musical chairs with a rover? Fucking harder than breathing on Mars.”
Salient expresses its gratitude to the work of Opportunity, and will be lowering Brad Pitt’s half-eaten naan at dawn in memoriam.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos