Proposed Liquor Ban Area
February 25, 2019 | by  | in Features Homepage News |

The End of Fountain Town? Liquor Ban Discussed for Kelburn Park

Wellington City Council (WCC) may impose a liquor ban on Kelburn Park.

The city council accepted a proposal from the City Strategy Committee on December 12 to work with Victoria University of Wellington towards resolving offensive alcohol-related behaviour in Kelburn.

The proposal requires the council to “consult with the community to create an Alcohol Ban area at Kelburn Park… [and] report back on the consultation by 30 June 2019.”

The council’s motion to support the bylaw was carried with 14 councillors (including Mayor Justin Lester) in support, with only Councillor Iona Pannett opposed.

Both representatives of the Youth Council, Councillors Jill Day and Simon Woolf, voted in support.

Councillor Day, who also leads the council’s Children and Young People portfolio, emphasised the complexity of the debate, and the importance of consultation as part of the process for considering a ban.

She encourages VUW students to engage with consultation.

“My primary concern is the well-being of all citizens. This is not a simple issue, so we will be listening to all submissions with an open mind.”

WCC minutes suggest that the proposal follows ongoing problems with alcohol-fueled behaviour in Kelburn Park.

A neighbourhood meeting of Kelburn residents on Wednesday, 20 February reflected this concern.

A number of residents outlined significant anti-social behaviour from drunk students, including the breaking of property and verbal threats.

Although a liquor ban was the obvious first choice for some Kelburn residents, the development of VUW’s existing restorative justice programme and messaging campaigns in Halls of Residence were also discussed.

The consultation process is expected to begin soon.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos