March 11, 2019 | by  | in Sports |

Boots and Beers – Sports on a Student Budget

Wellington is packed with sport, but it’s hard to watch some of New Zealand’s biggest sports on a student budget. Forget the All Blacks—two hours on a cold day at Westpac Stadium isn’t worth eating ramen for a month. It’s all about watching the most games you can at the cheapest prices.

The holy grail of cheap Wellington sports is the Wellington Phoenix. The quality of the product typically matches the membership fee, but $45 for (at least) 13 matches a season is unbelievable value. This is particularly true in the Yellow Fever section, which has some of the best atmosphere to be found in New Zealand sport. And as a club on the rise, incoming freshers have a more reason to go to Phoenix games than ever before.

Being a Hurricanes member also has benefits. At $80 for an eight-game home season it’s quite a bit pricier, but on the flip side, Hurricanes fans typically have a much greater chance of seeing home playoff games. Another way to get to Hurricanes game is through a hall of residence—in recent years, halls have had tickets for $15 a game, half the regular price. This isn’t an option for everybody, but if you can, making a few games for cheaper is a great alternative.

Domestic cricket isn’t the most-followed sport, but the Wellington Firebirds are ideal for passionate fans: First Class and One Day matches are usually free, and are a great way to spend a summer day, enjoying the Basin Reserve, even bringing notes during exam season. Both the men’s and women’s teams’ games are free outside of T20s, and make for greatly enjoyable viewing.

It’s hard to be outright broke and still make it to games: Sometimes, it involves saving or borrowing money to get a season pass. Sometimes you’ll have to miss out. But when you can get seasons of football, rugby, and most of the cricket available for $125 a year, Wellington can be a great place to love sport.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos