March 4, 2019 | by  | in Food |

FATTAB’s Top Five Picks – Monday

FATTAB’s top five picks for the best foodie deals in Wellington on a Monday:

1.     Chow 241 meals

Every Monday at Chow, you can order any two dishes and you’ll get the lower-priced item for free. Located right off of Courtenay Place, you can either sit inside the buzzing restaurant or outside on the deck, which is a perfect spot for people watching. The food has Asian fusion vibes, with many vegan and vegetarian options (on Tuesdays the whole menu is vegan). Some of my favourite menu items include: the Pekin duck lettuce cups, Blue cheese & peanut wontons, and the Green-lip mussel fritters.

1.     The Bresolin’s $10 Burgers

It doesn’t get much more student-friendly than $10 burgers. From 5 p.m. onwards on Mondays, you can enjoy a burg (and surely a beer) in their inviting all-weather courtyard. In the summer months, the sun beams through the rolled-back roof, and when it’s colder, you can rug up by the fire with the supplied blankets. I am yet to have a bad food experience here, and it is one of my all-time fave weekend brunch spots. They’re situated at the top of Willis Street, which is conveniently close to both Kelburn and Te Aro campuses.

1.     Half-price mussels from the Crab Shack

I am a sucker for anything that comes from the ocean, and it doesn’t get much better than eating seafood right on the waterfront! From 3–6 p.m. on Mondays, the Crab Shack offers half-price mussels. For a 500 gram scoop, this works out to be $7.50. It’s  the perfect cheap meal to enjoy while catching up with friends. And there are a ton of sauce options: Tom Yum: tomato, kaffir lime, chilli (gf, df); Thai green curry: lemongrass, coconut, coriander (gf, df); or White wine, chilli & garlic cream (gf). Yum. Note that dining must be complete (and the bill paid for) by 6 p.m.

1.     241 stone grill from Southern Cross Garden Bar

Generally when eating out, you want your  food cooked for you because, well, that’s what you’re paying for. However, there is something really fun about cooking your own meat on a fiery hot stone! 241 stone grill is an absolute experience, and with eight different options to choose from, there is something for everyone (yes, vegetarian options are available). Southern Cross is a huge restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating areas. It’s a very relaxed, chill vibe and they’re happy to accompany big groups. The deal is available from noon to 1:30 p.m., and then again from 5:30 p.m. onwards. I would recommend getting in early to not miss out, as they do run out of heated stone plates. Note that this deal is not available on public holidays.

1.     $10 BAO DOWN MONDAYS from The Old Quarter

You can get any bao of your choice plus a glass of bubbles or a beer for $10, all Monday long! Considering a drink on its own is nearly $10, you’re basically getting a free bao—HOW GOOD. I adore The Old Quarter; they have a really funky vibe, the staff always look genuinely happy to be there, and the food is insanely flavoursome. You will not regret going here—what a way to start your week right!

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy