March 11, 2019 | by  | in Mauri Ora |

Mauri Ora – Let’s Get Immunised

Student Health Immunisations for students

Registering at Student Health with a doctor of your choice provides continuity of health care while you study at Victoria University and allows you access to locally funded health pathways which might not be available if you are still enrolled with a doctor outside of Wellington.

Appointments with a doctor or nurse can be booked by phoning reception, and are free if you register. Most international students will have insurance that covers the majority of the cost. If you have a more urgent health concern, speak with a nurse, and they will arrange an appointment for you if necessary.

Student Health will always see students who are in crisis or present with a medical emergency. If you do not wish to enrol you can still access some services, such as free HPV and flu vaccinations, counselling, and applications for an aegrotat.  

Living in close quarters, such as in crowded flat and halls can expose you to contagious diseases. Viruses that cause coughs, colds, and flu can spread rapidly, as well as rarer but more severe infections such as meningococcal disease. We recommend all students get fully immunised, including against MMR (Measles, Mumps & Rubella) and whooping cough, as well as bacterial meningitis.

Flu injections are available yearly from early April and are free for all students. Gardasil is a safe and highly effective HPV vaccine that protects against genital warts and throat cancers. If you haven’t already had Gardasil at school, you can start the course of injections now; it is free for under 27s. Vaccines for meningococcal disease usually range from $103 and $111 per dose, but we highly recommend you think about getting them, sooner rather than later. The varicella vaccine is also recommended for students who have not had chickenpox or have not already completed a course of the vaccine.

If you’d like to discuss vaccinations, make an appointment with a nurse or doctor.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos