March 11, 2019 | by  | in News Splash |

New Students Get Orientated

New Students’ Orientation Week has come and gone again, kicking off another year at VUW with a bang.

This year’s line-up included the requisite toga party, a comedy show with Melanie Bracewell, and live music headlined by Rudimental, Netsky, and Winston Surfshirt.

O-Week was a wild success in terms of attendance, with the toga party and gigs selling out in record time.

In response, an official afterparty, featuring local artists P-Money, Church & AP, and 1174.

The events did not run entirely without incident, however, with 58 students passing through VUWSA’s saferoom.

The saferoom provides a space for students who are injured, intoxicated, or otherwise in distress, to get away from the main event and be looked after by trained staff.

The majority of students admitted to the room were from halls of residence, mostly for alcohol-related issues.

Drug-related incidents were up on 2018 figures, at 14 admissions throughout the week.

Two students were also admitted to hospital, one for continuous vomiting and one for a head injury sustained on the way to an event.

While students were impressed by the quality of the international musicians O-Week attracted, some felt that the venue, the Hunter Lounge, did not do the artists justice.

“It just got really crowded,” said first-year student Erin, who attended the toga party and Winston Surfshirt.

Fellow fresher Eliza agreed that the events were “too busy”, and a bigger venue would “definitely” improve the events, especially the ever-popular toga party.

The university also held orientation events for Māori, Pasifika, postgraduate, mature, refugee-background and rainbow students, as well as a variety of academic workshops.

VUWSA President Tamatha Paul summarised the week for Salient, “it was great.”

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos