Response to Letter: Victoria University of Wellington

The writer completely misrepresents the actions and attitude of the University in regard to the student in question, and to the health and wellbeing of our students in general. The University takes extremely seriously its duty of care for all students.

In the case discussed in the letter, an extensive process was followed to support the student, involving hall staff, Student Health and Counselling, and Capital and Coast DHB Mental Health Clinicians.

We always try to work in collaboration with individual students to make decisions about their health and their future in a hall of residence, and this will usually occur over a series of conversations. However, students who are unwell or distressed may not be in the emotional state to hear what is said or to engage with the process.

We also need to consider the wellbeing of all hall residents. This includes ensuring a safe environment and minimising impacts of critical incidents on the wider hall community.

The University has a range of services to support student health and wellbeing, including Student Health and Counselling, outreach nurses, student support coordinators in halls of residence, wellbeing advisors who lead a team of student wellbeing leaders, and a health promotion team. We completely reject the assertion in the letter that the University “continues to back away from its responsibility for the welfare of students”.

Pam Thorburn, Director, Student Academic Services

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos