March 11, 2019 | by  | in SWAT |

SWAT – Anxiety is a Scary Thing

Anxiety is a scary thing.

Imagine you’re walking through the Hub at around noon on Wednesday. You know what’s it like—absolute pandemonium!  Students swarming everywhere with their sushi and coffee and noodles. You have your earphones in, but even the Shrek soundtrack can’t quite drown out the rising tide of voices.

Still, you’ll be okay, right? You’re heading for the library. It’ll be quieter there. You’re listening to I Need A Hero and it’s an absolute classic. You’ll be okay.

Then, you see a familiar figure standing in your path. It’s one of your good friends. They wave and smile and—

Panic.

Your heart drops like you’ve just seen a spider in the shower. Hot flashes of fear attack your brain. You’re walking through the Hub and a friend is waving but all you feel is a desperate desire to disappear entirely, to vanish from the world all together.

That’s what anxiety does: it turns situations that shouldn’t be threatening and makes you believe your life is at stake. Think about how you feel when you trip over something but manage to catch yourself at the last minute. That moment when you’re suspended in the air and realise that you’re going to fall is exactly what social anxiety is like. The same panic, except applied to seeing a friend wave at you in the Hub.

What’s really bizarre is that sometimes you don’t feel it. Sometimes you see a friend in the Hub and it’s the most exciting thing ever. It may even be that friend you panicked about seeing just the other day.

Maybe that’s what we should remember. Anxiety is a scary thing, but there will be be a day when you conquer it. It doesn’t matter if it’s only temporary. If you can conquer something once, you can conquer it again.

-Alex Walker

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos