March 11, 2019 | by  | in SWAT |

SWAT – Anxiety is a Scary Thing

Anxiety is a scary thing.

Imagine you’re walking through the Hub at around noon on Wednesday. You know what’s it like—absolute pandemonium!  Students swarming everywhere with their sushi and coffee and noodles. You have your earphones in, but even the Shrek soundtrack can’t quite drown out the rising tide of voices.

Still, you’ll be okay, right? You’re heading for the library. It’ll be quieter there. You’re listening to I Need A Hero and it’s an absolute classic. You’ll be okay.

Then, you see a familiar figure standing in your path. It’s one of your good friends. They wave and smile and—

Panic.

Your heart drops like you’ve just seen a spider in the shower. Hot flashes of fear attack your brain. You’re walking through the Hub and a friend is waving but all you feel is a desperate desire to disappear entirely, to vanish from the world all together.

That’s what anxiety does: it turns situations that shouldn’t be threatening and makes you believe your life is at stake. Think about how you feel when you trip over something but manage to catch yourself at the last minute. That moment when you’re suspended in the air and realise that you’re going to fall is exactly what social anxiety is like. The same panic, except applied to seeing a friend wave at you in the Hub.

What’s really bizarre is that sometimes you don’t feel it. Sometimes you see a friend in the Hub and it’s the most exciting thing ever. It may even be that friend you panicked about seeing just the other day.

Maybe that’s what we should remember. Anxiety is a scary thing, but there will be be a day when you conquer it. It doesn’t matter if it’s only temporary. If you can conquer something once, you can conquer it again.

-Alex Walker

1. Buying a Prius and solar panels for my summer bach because climate change xo
  2. VUWSA AGM: Election Results, A Cheeky Deficit, and Constitutional Stuff
  3. School Strike for Climate Staying Hot in Fight Against Global Warming
  4. Toitū te Ao: A Week of Celebrating a Better Future
  5. Government Announces New Mental Health Policies
  6. Are You There Youths? It’s me, people who want to be your mayor
  7. VUW Launches Plan to be Carbon Neutral by 2030
  8. Canta Editor Calling For Editorial Independence
  9. Issue 22 – Eve
  10. Dear Nathaniel