March 11, 2019 | by  | in The F Word |

The F Word

This is it. The first ‘F Word’ column of the year, and I went into it as I go into everything: with raging indecision.

Would it be a celebration of R. Kelly’s downfall? A super-fresh Donald Trump hottake (surprise: he’s still the worst)? A yes-I-know-everyone-and-their-great-aunt-has-already-said-this-but-what-the-fuck-how-did-Green-Book-win-best-fucking-picture-are-you-kidding-me rant?

It turns out, a lot of pressure comes with the first of anything. Fortnightly university magazine columns included.

(I may have also, predictably, left it until the last minute but we don’t need to talk about that.)

I’d like to say that I overcame this pressure, and pumped out a Pulitzer-worthy piece without breaking a sweat, stopping only to shed a single tear as I witnessed the conception of mine own masterpiece.

But nope. Not today, I’m afraid. Because we all have our off days, and sometimes the bars we set for ourselves are a touch too high, and that’s okay. Sometimes our daily victory isn’t getting the A+ we were hoping for, but instead just making it through in one piece. If today is one of those days, then give yourself a pat on the back. You’re doing fucking superb, you funky little reader.

So instead of an angry feminist rant (trust me, there will be plenty of those in the future), here is a mini-list of other super awesome ‘little victories’ that you should be proud of. And before anyone says that this isn’t befitting of a ‘feminist’ column, stop right there. Because feminism is about treating people with fairness, love, and respect—and that includes yourself.

Congratulations, reader, if you:

• Had breakfast
  • Made someone smile (yourself included)
  • Went to your lectures (because we both know that you will never get around to watching those VStreams)
  • Are a fresher and wore/wear your lanyard proudly. As a fresher, you are entitled to your lanyard-accessorised fashion moment! Screw the haters!

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy