March 26, 2019 | by  | in News Politics |

The Party Line ~ Issue 04

Following the Al Noor and Linwood Mosque attacks on March 15, Salient made The Party Line available to VUW’s political party youth wings to make statements of support.

These statements were made prior to midday March 20, and may not take account of any later information.

ACT on Campus Wellington

Today we speak to you all not as political representatives, but as New Zealanders. We are shaken to our core by the events on the 15th of March and we condemn the actions taken by a white supremacist. This was an act of terrorism and must be treated as such by the government. The show of solitary with our Muslim community has been powerful and we hope this extends into appropriate action and a permanent change in New Zealand’s social fabric, to ensure we treat all immigrants with kindness and without prejudice. Kia Kaha. As-Salaam-Alaiku

• Jackson Graham

Young New Zealand First

It is with a heavy heart that Young New Zealand First pens this article. As Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters has said, “The worst of the world has visited our shores and we’ll never be the same again”. All members of Young New Zealand First extend our most sincere condolences for the families and communities affected by such a heinous act of violence, and condemnation for the perpetrator. Our members extend unfettered support to those who may require it, and stand resolute with the New Zealand public in knowing that our darkest day will only bring our nation closer together.

• Not attributed

VicNats

Our country is in mourning and our hearts go out to the people of Christchurch. The events of the 15th were an unprovoked attack on the very freedoms we hold dear, and the Young Nats condemn those who would use violence against our fellow brothers and sisters. No one in our country should live in fear. No matter their race, religion or beliefs. Terrorism and extremism have no place in New Zealand, and together we will defend the Kiwi values of peace, compassion, and hope. We stand ready to support the Government in any way we can.

•  Grahame Woods

VicLabour

VicLabour is still grieving from the terrorist attack and so appreciate the words of our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern: “We were not a target because we are a safe harbour for those who hate. We were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, because we are an enclave for extremism. We were chosen for the very fact that we are none of those things. Because we represent diversity, kindness, compassion. A home for those who share our values. Refuge for those who need it. And those values will not and cannot be shaken by this attack.”

• Not attributed

Greens@Vic

We see this as a time where thoughts and prayers are not enough. It is a time for change. For our gun laws. For our immigration laws. For our embrace of refugees as a nation. It is a time for action and reflection. We must own the racist past and present of New Zealand. We must acknowledge the hurt and pain it causes, and our own part in this. It is a time to share love, step up, and bring to life the Aotearoa we want to see.

We send our love to the Muslim community throughout the country. We stand beside you, now and always.

• Not attributed

TOP on Campus

On behalf of TOP on campus, we are saddened and distraught. No words of comfort could be given to fill the space of lives that were stolen. Our only hopes to respectfully move forward is to grow as a nation. Step away from our xenophobic spaces where we have sat too long in. Recognise the issue of social and economic inequality. Hold accountable our education system in its entirety. So, we will never again facilitate the hate that became of this day. We stand together as one people, not divided or defined by gender, race, background and especially religion.

• Mandeno Martin