April 9, 2019 | by  | in Dream Diagnosis |

Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington

DREAM:

I was returning from an unknown location when I was confronted by a series of intense fires burning around Wellington’s surrounding hills. Inexplicably I felt these were related to the Christchurch shooting: a kind of terrorist arson. Yet the people I was surrounded by in town were relaxed, while I was anxious. My dream shifted at this point, and I found myself in Mount Victoria, really hungry. I snuck into a familiar villa with ornate blue and white tiling, and my eyes fixated on their heavy lemon tree in the back garden. As I got closer to the tree I realised all the lemons were shrivelled and rotten. Nevertheless, I stole some. Someone came out of the house. Terrified, I threw myself alongside the path, thinking I wouldn’t be seen, clutching the lemons to my chest.

DIAGNOSIS:

Dear dreamer,

You’re lost. Lost dealing with toxic realities, things that are getting harder and harder to ignore. We’re inundated and it’s bubbling through the moment you go to sleep. Your return from the “unknown” is having your eyes forced open. The fires burning on the edges of the city are the fires burning at the edges of your reality. The world closes in. Ignorance is bliss, and that’s been wiped away.

Why Mount Victoria? What with the hours and hours off sunshine beaming down, and streets lined with white picket fences, what could it possibly mean? I mean, come on—fruit-bearing trees? Have you learned nothing from the Garden of Eden?!

The breaking and entering shows your yearning for security and a reprieve. Helpless, you want to latch that gate, head round to the back garden and make some undrinkable lemonade. But it’s not your house. And what really gives your helplessness away is after slipping in, you throw yourself to the ground while clutching the rotten lemon. The hoping not to be seen, and never clarifying whether you were, is crucial. To be seen and caught stealing, even if it’s of no particular consequence, is telling—it’s a gesture; doing, rather than moping or stewing in your own juices. That’s why you reach out and take the worthless fruit – because the world is too big and you’re too damn little.

Indecision plagues you. That’s the reason why you couldn’t bear to be caught. You think you want to do something, or be stopped while doing it, but you fear the consequences. You go for lemons in Mount Victoria because you want to reach on in and grip the mottled middle-class safety bubble that was New Zealand. You want your mouth to shrivel and your bowels to surge. That’s all you’re after, because any response—and it’s clear that it’s ANY response—is better than nothing. Yet you don’t want to be seen scurrying back through the gate. You’re conflicted. Fair enough. At the moment there aren’t any easy answers.

I’ll finish with this: it’s a tough time. All I can recommend is a light snack before bed. Avoid cheese. That’s the only advice I’m really qualified (and contractually allowed) to give. Avoid cheese.  

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this