Dylan Horrocks gets new job

Highly-acclaimed graphic novelist Dylan Horrocks has accepted a position at Victoria University in 2019, acting as a senior lecturer for the COMD 211 (Drawing) class at Te Aro campus.

Having worked as a cartoonist and graphic novelist for over thirty years, Horrocks is well-known for his works Hicksville and Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen, as well as work on the Batgirl comics line.

During his time as a Writer in Residence at Victoria’s International Institute of Modern Letters, the idea of a more permanent position at Victoria became appealing.

He told Salient, “I found myself falling in love with the university. Everyone I met—students, teachers, admin staff, technicians—was fascinating and inspiring, whatever their department or research area or role.”

He sees combining teaching and research with his own creative work as “basically [his] dream job.”

More people are studying comics, publishing them, and creating them all around the world.

Horrocks sees the New Zealand comics world going through an evolution, and wants to become part of that change.

“Helping coach new comics creators; introducing people to the history and diverse landscape of comics in New Zealand and globally; encouraging research into the form, its history and theory—all of this is what made me want to do this job.”

He hopes to help emerging New Zealand artists learn about their predecessors, and establish a Kiwi presence within the wider comics world.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this