Halls Continue to Serve Sub-Par Food

In 2018, it was revealed that Boulcott Hall were serving undercooked chicken to residents that was “bloody and red”. Now, its neighbour up the road is serving pasta with a side of maggots. Katherine Jermyn Hall residents received more than they bargained for when they were served “weird shit” at dinner last month.

In March, a photograph emerged on Instagram of a maggot on a piece of pasta. Another night, approximately four weeks ago, a resident found feathers on their plate from a chicken which hadn’t been properly processed. .

^Salient was contacted by two residents and a handful of first-year students about KJ’s catering service.

Two photos were sent in anonymously by residents over the last few weeks, worried about the quality of food in their hall since the start of the year.

When asked if they had been worried about the food in halls prior, an anonymous student replied, “Admittedly I had heard good things about the food at Boulcott… upon moving in I heard stories of uncooked chicken, which made me a little uneasy.”

KJ residents pay $392 a week to be housed and fed at the hall.

When asked about the incident, the university Comms team responded, “The University is aware of this issue. The photographs in question were taken three weeks ago, and the University quickly acted to address the situation with the catering contractor, and to communicate with residents, and parents and whānau.”

“Student and Campus Living has made its expectations clear to the catering contractor and is working closely with the catering contractor to ensure that offerings to residents meet expected quality, and health and safety standards.”

“We are strongly encouraging all residents to provide immediate feedback to hall staff at any time and are committed to acting on any issues raised.”

The VUW spokesperson clarified that all their halls of residence use catering contractors.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this