[INNUENDO ABOUT SEX WEEK BEING IN ALL THREE CAMPUSES]

Sex Week 2019 ran from April 1 to April 5 in the Hub at Kelburn Campus, with satellite events at both Te Aro and Pipitea Campuses.

Last year’s Sex in the Hub was the first event of its kind hosted by VUWSA, featuring the promotion of sex positivity. Sex Week 2019 had a broader focus, including on preventing sexual harm.

Rhianna Morar, Welfare Vice President of VUWSA, described the key goal of Sex Week 2019 as giving wider appeal, which involved bringing more clubs and businesses and producing more interactive media as part of the campaign.

This is a product of Morar’s campaign promises to expand the appeal of the event, from lobbying outside groups to work with students to end sexual harm at Victoria.

The addition of satellite events at both Pipitea and Te Aro Campuses in 2019 was another development. According to Morar, the aim of this was to capture more of the student body.

Pam Thorburn, Director of Student Academic Services, said she was proud to support VUWSA in ensuring that the event reached even more of the students across the campuses.

However, Morar acknowledged that there were some “issues with the Te Aro satellite”, reflected in low turnout. At a VUWSA meeting on April 9, it was suggested that this was due to campus management hindering the organisation of the event.

Morar added that despite “good culture-setting”, constructive work was still required with management in the future.

At the Pipitea event, the Feminist Law Society, Ngā Rangahautira, Pasifika Law Students’ Society, Asian Law Students’ Society, and VUW Law Students’ Society took leadership on sexual harm reduction alongside VUWSA.

The events seemed generally well received, with some students telling ^Salient that “sex positivity is really important”. Students also considered the environment “very open”.

Despite one student showing concern that the events were “promoting the ideas of the devil to the youth of Wellington”, Morar believes that a strong partnership can be formed between VUWSA, VUW, and WCC in the effort to end sexual violence on campus and, eventually, in Wellington.

1. Meet the Candidates: VUW Students and Grads Running for Council
  2. Climate Strike : Take Two
  3. The Privilege of Ignoring Race
  4. La’u Pele. My beloved.
  5. My Name is My Name
  6. ‘Then You Can’t Tell Me Not***g Right?’
  7. The best things in life aren’t free
  8. Free Speech at risk at University – Shalom Students Association
  9. Thursdays in Black Continuing Kaupapa with Club Launch
  10. Largest-ever teachers’ strike scheduled for Wednesday