April 9, 2019 | by  | in Lost in the Sauce |

Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t

Living in Wellington, we are conscious of the environment. There is a large vegetarian/vegan influence in the city and we can’t escape it. We are constantly reminded that if everyone we knew became a vegan, the environment wouldn’t be in such a bad state.

In the past, ^Salient has published pieces about the use of water in the production of meat. Most people are shocked about how much water it takes to produce their favourite food and beverages.

A cup of coffee = 140 litres of water

A decent hamburger = 2500 litres of water

A gallon of milk = 3785 litres of water

If you’ve watched any Netflix documentary about the environment, you know that the meat and dairy industry are essentially tearing apart the environment to mass-produce the food we eat. If you’re anything like me, you went and ate a vegan bowl out of a biodegradable bucket after learning that the ‘earth is fucked and dirty carnivores are responsible’.

With all of this knowledge, it’s really hard to escape the impending doom we all feel, especially as a foodie. One way to feel better about the environment is to eat healthy, grow your own vegetables, and avoid any food wastage. There are times where we can feel like we’ve done our part and switch off. We feel good and ‘treat ourselves’ to a nice brunch, a beer outside, and maybe takeaways for dinner.

What’s one thing every Wellingtonian can’t live without—the star of the show, delivered to you on your sesame bagel or Vogel’s toast?

The avocado.

You may remember last winter when avocados were going for $7 each at Countdown. Served in many different dishes in many different forms, the avocado was the butt of all jokes about “entitled Millennials”. The soft green fruit works as a savoury and sweet ingredient, and has recently risen to the top of the gourmet fruit list as a ‘must-have’ at breakfast spots around the city. Often paired with halloumi or salt ’n’ pepper, avocados are in hot demand in most cities, and Wellington is no outlier.

Originating from Southern Mexico, the avocado is a prevalent ingredient in many South American dishes. From guasacaca (a.k.a. wasakaka) to guacamole, the fruit is labelled by many as the superfood of the next generation. For us? It’s the green food that makes us feel healthy and often relieves our sins from the night before.

It takes 70 litres of water to produce one avocado locally.
It takes 283 litres of water to produce one avocado imported from South America.

A kilogram in the reusable bag from New World? 1280 litres.

Even though we use the avocado as the saviour of humanity and the answer to our meatless breakfasts, we must remember that nothing is perfect.

Just because your vegan breakfast contains quinoa, three mashed avocados, and rock salt; doesn’t mean you’re exempt from recycling or using less water.

In the hospitality industry, there are organisations like Kaibosh and Arobake, going the extra mile to ensure that our carbon footprint is the smallest it possibly can be.

If you don’t do your bit, you could lose your favourite green fruit. The beloved avocado.

So think twice before you excuse yourself from recycling your plastic bottles, you fuck.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties