April 9, 2019 | by  | in The Party Line |

The Party Line-What are you doing at VUW to engage students on important environmental issues?

What are you doing at VUW to engage students on important environmental issues?

VicNats

In February the National Party was proud to release its environmental policy discussion document. Throughout clubs week it was awesome to discuss the proposals and questions within it and other environmental issues with everyone who came to say hello.

In addition to this, the Young Nats are in the process of developing our own environment policy document and later on in the year we will be hosting a policy forum focused on environmental policy for our members to attend and express their views.

I encourage everybody to have a look at our discussion documents and let us know your thoughts!

• Grahame Woods

VicLabour

Labour is built on values. We care about kaitiakitanga. VicLabour has a strong history in supporting the most effective campaigns to mitigate climate change. At uni level – you can catch our volunteers engaging all over the place! We help out at various events with waste management but still making sure we focus on the large issues.

As well as lobbying at local and central government level, recently – we’ve supported the Zero Carbon Act campaign and the School Strike 4 Climate.

Climate change is an emergency. Let’s do everything we can to stop it.

Greens@Vic

Greens@Vic are campaigning hard this year for real tangible action on climate change, along with a not just adequate, but ambitious, Zero Carbon Act to ensure that the government takes this crisis seriously with the urgency it demands. We’re excited about local body elections: students are already passionate about public transport, & we need accessible public transport that actually works if we’re gonna start reducing our massive transport emissions. We’re also looking forward to participating in events like Sustainability Week, getting Green politicians on campus to engage with students, & working with other groups to better Victoria’s environmental impact.

Young New Zealand First

Young New Zealand First stands behind its’ comments made within the Party Line in Salient’s Issue 01. We understand that it is important to engage with both students and faculty to ensure that we’re making the grass-root steps towards greater environmental practice – particularly within our day to day lives. Our membership, with schedules that are just as frantic as other youth wings; opt to reduce our disposable coffee cup usage by replacing these cups with glass pitchers, particularly filled with a refreshing drop of lager. We believe that by doing so, we’re doing better for the environment, and encourage you to do so as well.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this