Uni Council Still Teasing Name Change Legal Action

With the Victoria University name change still very much under debate, Salient took the time to sit in on this month’s University Council meeting.

While it could be said that the name change shared the spotlight with other pressing issues, many still voiced their concerns on the issue.

“I think we have under-delivered, woefully,” commented Traci Houpapa, a prominent voice against the name change.

“I think this is a bleak day; seeking support from external and other [universities] is not a smart idea.”

In a statement made by Stick with Vic , spokesperson Ross McComish outlined the extent of support for their cause, as well as the burden brought onto the university.

McComish told ^Salient, “It is clear from the thousands of comments made on Stick with Vic over the last eight months that the course the university has embarked on has cost it the respect of large numbers of its students and the goodwill of many of its alumni.”

“The longer it perseveres with that course, the more it is putting its reputation, quality, and future recognition at risk.”

One prominent idea is to adapt the VUW logo in order to emphasise  “Wellington” while keeping the legal name the same.

VUW confirmed that such an alternative logo had been used on their website to replace a previous logo which “gave pre-eminence to the word ‘Victoria’.”

VUW added that the logo had been approved in early 2013 to assist recruitment outside of Wellington.

It was expected that the March 25 meeting would include a declaration of the council’s decision whether or not to pursue legal action against the decision by Chris Hipkins to decline the name change. However, this was deferred by the university so it could deal with more pressing issues following the Al Noor and Linwood Mosque Attacks.

The announcement is now expected to be made at the May 6 meeting, with engagement with the Minister of Education and other stakeholders in the interim.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this